Cypress Springs Presbyterian Church
This is an independent contract position for Music Director, part time approximately 7 hours per week.
1) Play the piano and keyboard at a level that requires minimal practice when playing songs form hymn books, single music pieces and cantatas (a piano and keyboard are available in the sanctuary and a piano is available in the choir room).
2) Direct a four-part choir with at least an hour rehearsal each week on Wednesday evenings. Meet with choir approximately 15 minutes prior to each Sunday morning worship service to rehearse choir call to worship and choir anthem as well as any other special music as necessary.
3) Select and purchase appropriate music for choir anthems. Music that is purchased will be so done within the choir line item in the budget and receipts presented to the church treasurer for reimbursement.
4) Encourage and work with members of the choir and congregation to offer their talents in playing musical instruments and/or singing of solos, duets, etc.
5) Conduct the music elements of Sunday morning worship, working closely with the pastor to ensure continuity with the sermon and themes of the service. Provide basic music for the worship service to include, but not limited to, prelude; choir call to worship; 2-3 congregational hymns; Gloria Patri; Doxology; choir anthem; offertory music; music during communion; and postlude.
6) Provide musical direction and music for other services such as Maundy Thursday, Easter Sunrise Service, two Christmas Eve Services and other services that may arise.
7) Attend meetings with the Worship Committee at least once a quarter to craft meaningful experiences of worship.
8) Provide input to the Worship Committee regarding perceived annual choir expenses.
9) Maintain a neat file system of music pieces and books in the choir practice room.
10) Coordinate with Worship Committee Chairman to establish a mutually agreed upon number of Sundays off. Arrange for substitute pianist for those Sundays.