ESSENTIAL JOB FUNCTIONS
• Review residential & commercial zoning permits, sign permits, exempt & minor subdivision plats, & other planning & zoning requests for conformance with the Unified Development Ordinance (UDO) & modifications to the same.
• Provide technical assistance to citizens, developers, & at times public officials, regarding exempt & minor subdivisions, zoning, & related matters.
• Respond to public via walk-in, telephone, & email.
• Processes & writes zoning compliance letters.
• Performs final planning & zoning inspections of new residential or commercial developments & signs applications.
• Assists the Town’s third-party code enforcement agency with code & zoning enforcement. • Submits recommendations to the Planning Board & Board of Commissioners.
• Leads economic & community development projects such as downtown revitalization, neighborhood resiliency, parks & recreation, historic preservation & other similar projects as needed.
• Serves as Staff Liaison to the Planning Board.
• Collaborates with & assists other administrative staff as needed
EDUCATION, EXPERIENCE, & OTHER REQUIREMENTS
• Graduation from an accredited school with a Bachelor’s Degree in Urban Planning, Urban Design, Geography, or closely related field & zero to two (0-2) years of related experience; or
• Two (2) plus years of experience in local governments, specifically within a planning department.
• Certified Zoning Official (CZO) certification preferred.
• Clerical/permitting experience preferred.
• Valid North Carolina driver’s license.
Hiring Range: $55,304 - $69,130 Annually
Application Deadline: November 22, 2022 The Town of Carthage is an Equal Opportunity Employer