Benefits & Risk Coordinator
Benefits and Risk Coordinator
Town of Southern Pines
125 SE Broad Street
Southern Pines, NC 28387
We recognize that our employees are the foundation for our success, which is why we strive to attract and retain the best talent.
The Risk Coordinator is responsible for administration and coordination of the Town’s Employee benefits programs, safety policies and programs, insurance policies (General Liability, Property, Vehicle, Workers’ Compensation, etc) and management of all claims under these policies. The Risk Coordinator will also coordinate, document, track and ensure compliance with the Town’s internal and mandated employee leaves of absence programs (Workers’ Comp, FMLA, Military, personal etc).
Duties and Responsibilities:
• Coordinate with Town departments, third parties to claims, and vendor partners to document, report, and (if necessary) file claims related to general liability, property damage, vehicle accidents and other incidents.
• Serve as the Town’s liaison with carriers and claimants through resolution of any claims.
• Work with vendor partners to ensure property, vehicle and equipment schedules are maintained and appropriate coverage amounts are in place.
• Work closely with the HR Coordinator regarding the administration of employee medical and health related benefits, annual open enrollment, records management with vendor partners, monthly billing reconciliation, and resolution of employee questions and challenges.
• Oversight of the Town’s Safety Committee, Safety Programs, incident reporting, trend analysis, and formulation of recommended plans to improve employee safety and wellness.
• Administer the reporting, claim management, compliance and resolution of any Workers’ Compensation incidents.
• Identify, source and coordinate potential educational, training and other programs that may provide opportunities to improve in all areas above as well as grow and develop staff skills, knowledge and effectiveness.
• Coordinates, tracks and ensures compliance with Town Leave of Absence programs (Workers’ Comp, FMLA, Medical, Military, etc.).
This position requires a minimum of a 2 year degree in a field related to benefits, risk, or safety as well as a minimum of 3 years direct experience in the administration one of more of these areas. (For purposes of this job, patient scheduling, check-in or billing is NOT considered administration.) An equivalent combination of education, experience and background may be considered.
The following qualifications are highly desired and will receive preferred consideration:
• A 4 year degree in a field directly related to the duties of the role.
• Certifications, licenses and course work related to the duties of this role.
• Experience in these areas in a municipal or county government setting.
Additional Skills, Qualifications and Characteristics:
• Ability to prioritize tasks in a fast-paced office setting.
• Proven ability to build strong, positive relationships with co-workers, third party vendors and external customers.
• Strong written, verbal and presentation communications skills.
• Excellent computer skills to include: Microsoft office products, adobe, HR information systems, vendor benefits and claims management platforms, and online research skills.
• The schedule for this position is generally Monday-Friday 8:30 – 5:00 with 30 minutes for lunch. However, there may be occasions when evening and/or weekend hours could be required.
• This position works primarily in a climate-controlled office environment.
• This position requires occasional work in other office locations in order to support other Town departments.
• This is a customer facing position that may be required to interact calmly and professionally with upset citizens, vendors, and guests in tense and difficult situations.
• Must be able to move about in an office environment. (Note: being a historic building, the Administration offices are accessible only by stairs.)
• Must be able to lift and/or carry objects up to 10 lbs. regularly and up to 25 lbs. occasionally.
• Must have the ability to stoop, bend, reach, push, and pull.
• Must have dexterity to manipulate small objects such as paperwork, keyboards, etc.
• Must have visual acuity in order to use computers, read reports and documents.
*Please note that the minimum pay range shown is just that - a minimum. We look at every candidate individually and will make sure that your starting pay offer will be competitive based on the experience, knowledge, skills and abilities YOU bring to the table. In addition to base pay, we also offer an additional 2% increase upon successful completion of a 6 month probation period, a great working environment, opportunities for development and growth, and highly competitive benefits, which are outlined on the Summary of Benefits link in this posting.
We like to take a "total compensation" philosophy toward employment with the Town. So please carefully factor in ALL the pay, benefits, work environment, team atmosphere, economic stability, etc. together as you consider a rewarding future with the Town of Southern Pines.
What We Offer:
In addition to competitive pay, the Town of Southern Pines offers many benefits to our full-time employees including:
Town Paid Benefits:
- Town pays 95% of medical/pharmacy/vision benefits premium for all full-time employees. (Dependent coverage is available with a cost to employees.)
- Town provided $50,000 life insurance policy for all full-time employees.
- Town provided 5% contribution to full-time employee 401k account (following completion of probation period).
- Town provided contribution to Local Government Employee's Retirement System for all full-time employees.
- Town provides a $100 per pay period section 125 contribution to all full-time employees. This can be used to offset any employee benefit cost, to purchase supplemental benefits, or can placed in a retirement or savings account.
- Paid Vacation benefits.
- Paid Personal Sick time benefits.
- 11 (*or 12) Paid Holidays annually. (*One additional day off when Christmas Day falls on a Tuesday, Wednesday or Thursday.)
Available Benefits (Require Employee Contribution):
- Dental insurance is available for full-time employees, and their families.
- Supplemental life insurance benefits are available for full-time employee, spouse and children.
- A variety of supplemental products and services are available to full-time employees, such as; Long-Term Disability, Short-Term Disability, Critical Illness insurance, and Accident insurance.
- Additional retirement savings options are available to full-time employees.
Equal Opportunity Employer
The Town of Southern Pines is an Equal Employment Opportunity employer and does not discriminate on the basis of any protected class or disability.
Note: Due to the age and design of our facility, the Administration Building is only accessible by use of stairs. If you require reasonable accommodations to participate in a job application process, program, or activity, please contact the Human Resources Department at 910-692-7021 and we will be happy to arrange alternative accommodations.
The Town of Southern Pines is a drug-free workplace and all employment is contingent on the successful completion of both a drug screen and a criminal background check.